Sunday, October 3, 2010

Web 2.0 Awards List

Week 5: Number 11 



     I was surprised to see that many of the 2.0 tools on this list were familiar to me, and that I had used many of them on numerous occasions.   Pandora radio has long been a fav as has PayPal and Skype.  So, in looking for something to try out, I decided to go with Vimeo.  This was recently recommended to me by Alecia for uploading classroom videos easily for sharing purposes.  Of course, this required me to create an account, and when doing so, I accidentally typed an extra letter at the end of my e-mail address.  This normally is quite fixable, but for Vimeo, there was no way to delete my mistake and to correct it.  Vimeo, upon creation of your account, sends out a confirmation e-mail to the e-mail account that you have listed.  Until you actually go to your e-mail account, open the confirmation e-mail and confirm, you are unable to use the Vimeo services.  Worse still, there is no live help desk.  So, I created a new e-mail address, made it my primary account, and waited for the confirmation e-mail to my actual account.  Still didn't work!  Vimeo would not allow me to use their services until I had also confirmed the incorrect e-mail - which was impossible since there was no such web address.  Very frustrating.  I read pages of posts from others who had also typed in their e-mail address incorrectly, and who were experiencing the same problem.  Since Vimeo support is only open M-F, I will have to remember to contact them to get this straightened out.  Until then, I can't upload videos or get a good feel for the site.  It looks like it will be a great tool for sharing the videos I make, and since Alecia recommended it, I'm sure that it will be something that I use again and again.  Someday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment