Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Interesting Blog Item

Week 4:  Thing 9, Part I

Kathy Schrock's blog is chock full of information that is both useful and interesting - an unbeatable combo.  One of her blogs that I enjoyed was an observation that she had about how technology can draw users into an event - even in absentia.  Kathy told about her experience with middle schoolers as they watched, virtually, President Obama's back-to-school speech on September 14.  She observed that her middle school students (watching virtually in Massachusetts) were as much a part of Obama's audience as the students who were actually seated in the auditorium of the Philadelphia location where Obama's speech was given.  (Wow, was that a run-on sentence or what??)  She said that when the actual student observers stood to clap, so did her virtual student observers.  She noted that someone in the White House did a great job of angling the camera and giving thought to how the President's speech would appear to a virtual connection.  It is an interesting dichotomy to me how technology can bring together a group of people, but also separate them by virtue of allowing us to communicate while apart. 

As I perused Edutopia, I came across a blog about cool tools to use at the beginning of school.


One tool that was mentioned was Answer Garden, so I checked it out.  It IS cool.  What it does is allow you to embed a short question on your blog or web site that can be answered by limitless readers.  It is a fun way to survey.  I will post a question on my blog, and if you'd like to play with me, you can answer it.


Names for our school eagle:... at AnswerGarden.ch.

No comments:

Post a Comment